If you are applying for university or TAFE outside of Bendigo, you might have to consider accommodation options. 

On-campus accommodation - many universities have accommodation options inside or close to their campuses. On-campus accommodation are usually managed by the university or their affiliated institutions, offering students a supported living arrangement with wellbeing activities, academic support, social events, 24 hour security, residential advisers, and opportunities to volunteer. Options can include:

  • traditional residential colleges or halls

  • apartments

  • houses and other styles

Off-campus accommodation options:

  • private rental market:

    • renting an apartment or house by yourself​

    • renting/sharing an apartment or house with a group of students

    • some universities might have a list of 'endorsed' private rentals and/or information to assist you in finding a private rental. Check with them. Some also have a Facebook page or group where current students advertise sharehouse vacancies and 2nd hand furniture.

  • homestay - living with a family (sometimes meals are provided as well as board). Some universities might have a homestay arrangement or lists of endorsed providers.

  • student housing providers - these might be located close to universities or in the city centre. They are usually fully furnished apartments. See links provided below



  • Think about the location of the universities you are applying for. Are they located in the CBD or in the suburbs of Melbourne? Research your options well in advance. 

  • Check the websites of universities for accommodation/housing information. 

  • Visit accommodation options prior to applying. They are happy to arrange individual tours!

  • Submit your applications early. Some accept applications as early as July for students interested in accommodation the following year. Don't leave it till late or you might miss out.

  • Have other options available (staying with a relative, renting, share house, etc) if you are not successful securing your preferred accommodation.

  • The BSSC Careers & Pathways office has a folder with various brochures and accommodation information. You are welcome to browse it during school open times. 

  • BSSC Careers Advisors are happy to discuss options with you and your family. You can book a time to see us for an appointment.


If you are applying for university in Melbourne and planning to live on-campus, you should apply as soon as possible. Residential colleges, residential halls and other on-campus accommodation fill out quickly. 

​We have a comprehensive guide for university accommodation. Click here to download it. 

University accommodation pages (useful information about accommodation on and off campus):

Australian Catholic University (ACU) 

Deakin University

Federation University

La Trobe University

Monash University



University of Melbourne

Victoria University

Other accommodation links:

Ashburton Student House

Brunswick College

Carlton Student Accommodation

Kew Student Residence

Le Student 8 (Preston)

Campus Living Villages (3 options in Melbourne: RMIT Village, Student Village, Yarra House)

Student Housing Australia


Accommodation Options


Follow us on Facebook:

  • BSSC Careers & Pathways

Our ROLE is to empower learners for individual,

community and global leadership. We value Respect, 

Optimism, Learning, Environment.

Bendigo Senior Secondary College is accredited with the Council of International Schools. Department of Education & Training CRICOS Provider Code: 00861K

Bendigo Senior Secondary College is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people. This will be the primary focus of our care and decision-making. Child safety

The college is a proud partner of LaTrobe University.

Copyright © 2013-2018 BSSC. All rights reserved. Website Design by Studio Ink.

Bendigo Senior Secondary College is recognised as a White Ribbon School.