How Do I Apply For University?

Universities in Victoria

If you are interested in going to a university in Victoria, you will apply via one central website 

called the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Applications open in August.


Universities in other states

Apply via the Tertiary Admissions Centre in the state you are interested. Click here to view them

Bendigo TAFE

Bendigo TAFE accepts direct applications from students.

You should submit an expression of interest online for the course you are interested.

Some courses might require an interview and admissions test. 

Private colleges and other TAFEs in Victoria

If you are interested in studying at a private college, independent college or

other TAFEs in Victoria, you should check their websites to find out if they accept

direct applications or if you submit it via the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

How Do I Search For University Courses?

You can use the VTAC course search to explore courses offered at universities, prerequisites and ATARs.

We also suggest you research the universities websites to view more in-depth information about their courses. 

How Do I Find Out the ATAR Required For University Courses?

You can view the ATAR profiles for university courses by going directly to the university websites and searching for courses.


E.g. below is the course entry for Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Deakin University's website:

You can also view the ATAR of a course on VTAC E.g. below is the ATAR profile of Bachelor of Business Accountancy at RMIT:



Look at the lowest selection rank including adjustment factors as an indication of the minimum ATAR required to get into a course. These are only guidelines, as ATARs fluctuate every year, either up or down.

Don't forget to look at the essential requirements and other admission criteria (prerequisites, subject adjustments, interviews, folios, special tests, etc) on VTAC and/or university website.

The booklet VTAC Year 11 and 12 Guide is a great resource for students and parents. 

Admission Tests and Early Applications

Some courses require you to complete an admissions test:

  • Teaching courses: For most courses, you will need to complete the CASPer test.

  • Medical and Dentistry courses: For most courses, you will need to complete the UCAT test.

Some courses require early applications:

  • University of Melbourne: Screenwriting, Animation, Dance, Film & TV  (around August)

  • Monash University: Medicine (around September )

  • University of Melboourne: Music (around September )

*The list above is not extensive. You should carefully check VTAC and the university's website for the courses you are interested in applying. 

All about VTAC and uni applications

All you need to know about applying for uni, TAFE and colleges in Victoria. Watch from your computer!

Essential for Y12s + parents. Ideal for Y11s.

Online recording available


Enter the passcode VTACaug15 to view it.


Follow us on Facebook:

  • BSSC Careers & Pathways

Our ROLE is to empower learners for individual,

community and global leadership. We value Respect, 

Optimism, Learning, Environment.

Bendigo Senior Secondary College is accredited with the Council of International Schools. Department of Education & Training CRICOS Provider Code: 00861K

Bendigo Senior Secondary College is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people. This will be the primary focus of our care and decision-making. Child safety

The college is a proud partner of LaTrobe University.

Copyright © 2013-2018 BSSC. All rights reserved. Website Design by Studio Ink.

Bendigo Senior Secondary College is recognised as a White Ribbon School.