Health and Allied Health
Interested in health? There's more to health careers than only being a doctor or a nurse. Have you heard of Allied Health Careers? These professionals include,
but are not limited to:
• Audiologist: Assessment, treatment and prevention of hearing and balance disorders.
• Chiropractor: Diagnose and treat physiological and mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
• Dietitian: Advises patients on nutrition for health, weight management or for specific medical conditions.
• Exercise Physiologist: Focuses on therapy and rehabilitation of injury, chronic disease and disability through exercise.
• Occupational Therapist: Assist people with illness or disability to develop or maintain daily living and work skills.
• Osteopath: Works with manipulation of the musculoskeletal system to treat and prevent injury.
• Orthotist: Prescribe, design and fit braces and other devices to aid mobility and rehabilitation, correct deformity and relieve
• Perfusionist: Operates a range of machinery during surgery (and in ICU) to monitor a patients physiological status.
• Pharmacist: Prepare, dispense and manufacture medicines and advise on their appropriate use. Pharmacists may also work in a
• Physiotherapist: Focuses on the diagnosis, management and prevention of movement disorders and injury.
• Podiatrist: Treats conditions of the feet and lower limbs.
• Psychologist: Studies, treats and evaluates mental and behavioural processes.
• Social Worker: Helps people deal with personal and social issues through counselling, community engagement, advocacy and various
• Speech Pathologist: Assess and treat patients who have a communication disability. Speech pathologists may also work with patients who have
Want to find out more about the exciting field of health and its various careers? Explore the websites below:
What to do?
Health courses available in Victoria (always check VTAC and university websites for latest information, as courses can change):
Medical Radiation Science (Medical Imaging, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Medical Sonography
The following education providers offer natural health courses: